We are pleased to announce that our new 8.5m dive boat, Whakaari Express, recently passed it’s survey for 12 divers and 2 crew. “Whakaari” is the Moari name for “White Island”, as this boat was originally set up to take sightseers out to White Island from Whakatane…so it is very strongly built and travels comfortably even in quite rough waters.
Thanks to the 12 volunteers that joined us on Sunday morning with full dive gear, including 2 tanks, to help us through the additional stability tests required when transporting scuba divers.
The vessel passed with flying colours (note: even fully loaded the pontoons do not even touch the water).
Our new dive boat boasts the following features:
- 8.5 m Alloy RIB
- 2 x 200hp Yamaha outboards
- GPS chart plotter
- 2 x Depth Sounders
- Automatic and manual bilge pumps
- Safety Equipment – EPIRB, flares, Scale 1 first Aid Kit, Medical Oxygen, 2 x fire extinguishers, 2 x bailing buckets, throw rope, 2 x life rings, binoculars and life jackets
- 2 x purpose built dive ladders
- Dive Bench – each diver has a 1/2m seating and kitting up area with their own equipment storage box and 2 x cylinder clamps.
- Chemical toilet
- Electric anchor winch
Our new survey limits allow us to venture further afield to dive destinations we couldn’t previously reach in our smaller boat. We already have trips planed to all the Outer Islands of the Hauraki Gulf and Poor Knights. Check out our trip schedule ONLINE for more information – http://aucklandscubadive.co.nz/dive-trips
Stay tuned for NEW destinations such as the Coromandel, Bay of Plenty and White Island…coming soon.
We look forward to welcoming you on board !